Thursday, November 26, 2009

Fruit and Coconut Quick Bread

Randomly, I'll decide to bake. I started baking because of the lack of good cookies and cakes in Ahmedabad (I would go to Subway to satisfy my cookie desire...). I don't get time to bake regularly, but when inspiration strikes, I have the basic ingredients around to try stuff out. Music and food really go hand in hand. Majority of great ustads were also incredible cooks. For me, its more about the baking than the cooking.

Anyways, I found a recipe for pomegranate quick bread, didn't have all the ingredients, so I made some substitutions and came out with this - pineapple, apple, pomegranate coconut quick bread (aka fruit and coconut quickbread). It turned out great. A bit on the dense and moist side, but still delicious. I got to use my loaf pan for the first time =) The best part, it's def much healthy than the majority of the stuff I bake.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sifted wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1/2 pomegranate arils
  • 1/2 of cup unsweetened applesauce (I used freshly blended apples) + olive oil (I filled 3/4 of the 1/2 cup with applesauce then the rest with olive oil and ended up adding a little bit more applesauce and oil while mixing)
So the applesauce/oil portions are not exact. When mixing I thought there was not enough liquid, so added a bit more. When replacing oil with applesauce, you should keep some oil, which is what I was trying to do. Applesauce makes baked goods as does wheat flour (compared to all purpose), which would explain my denser quick bread. Also I think I might have added a bit too much applesauce/oil as my bread is a bit on the too moist side.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180*C. Grease loaf pan - I sprayed mine using my new PAM baking spray.

2. Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl; blend well.

3. Pour batter into loaf pan.

4. Bake for 45 minutes until top is firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. I baked mine for 53 min.

5. Allow loaf to cool before serving.

Great as a snack or for breakfast!

No comments: