Thursday, January 14, 2010

Aal Izz Well

I saw 3 Idiots last week, basically after the entire town had already seen it. I was further motivated to write a post I’ve been thinking of writing for a long time that touches upon stuff in 3 Idiots. I generally don’t write about movies or books, but came to feel that the movie deserves a post of its own and the other post I’ll get around to.

After a serious drought of commercially successful Bollywood movies, 2009 really ended with a bang with Paa and 3 Idiots. All around whether it be in class or via facebook friends from around the world, everyone was talking about 3 Idiots. Even though, I don’t watch many Indians movies, even fewer in theatres (though movie watching and eating out are the top two recreational activities in Ahmedabad), I was determined to see this one in a theatre.

First I must acknowledge the awesome theatre. I saw it in the club class of Wide Angle, where they have fully reclining leather chairs. Very comfortable and if its a boring movie, you could easily sleep.

BUT 3 Idiots is not a movie to sleep through. Some said it was another Lago Raho Munnabhai, but I beg to differ. Yes it has its comedy, but not to the extent of Lago Raho. The second half of 3 Idiots actually has much less comedy than the first half and tear-jerking scenes (yes I am one of those people that cries in movies…)

I love the “message” of the movie. I am really glad to see a mainstream movie really talking about following one’s passion and not doing getavruti (acting like a donkey – aka doing whatever the mass does). I sincerely hope that Indian parents especially take this message to heart and are more open to allowing their children to do what they want, not what the parents think they should do. The film of course hit home with me as I’ve had to personally face the music about doing something very different, but that and more in another post.

Aamir Khan really has done it again. His films offer great variety and he is really doing a great job in creating entertaining and educational movies. Commercial Bollywood films can be a phenomenal outreach medium as they reach thousands around the world and he is using it as a social education tool.

Besides the film itself, you have to also give him kudos for the very unique marketing techniques used to promote the film. But the butt chairs in theatres, morning shows with free breakfast, “Where is Aamir Khan” game across India – he put fun into film promotion. The 3 Idiots quiz (CIT) on the Idiots Academy website reminded me of Brain Teasers I used to do as a kid. Want to see if you think outside the box? take the quiz =)

If you haven’t seen it, go see it.

If you need a push to go follow your dreams, go see it.

If you need help convincing your parents to support you as you follow your dreams, go see it with them.

No comments: